Turkey Loaf

Friday, September 17, 2010

Okay, so about a year ago, we moved to California. Actually... we moved to the middle of nowhere, IN California. We have no choices for where we buy meat. Its either you take what you can get from the commissary, or you drive 30 minutes south to the whole foods. We just didn't think it was worth it to make the drive very often and as a result, cut out essentially ALL red meat from our diet. Not hard for me since i've never been a huge cow eater...anyways, my boys have always loved my meatloaf and meatballs, but without red meat i had to find a different meat... So, we tried it with ground turkey. DELISH. I actually LOVE this, and thats huge because... well the thought of just eating a bunch of ground of meat has always grossed me out... this is the same way i make meatballs, i just make em into balls and cook em instead of the loaf pan... and you can absolutely use hamburger if you'd prefer, but the turkey is leaner, and in my opinion, tastier!

What you need:

1.5 ground turkey
1 can tomato sauce
italian seasoning- i think i use roughly 5 TBSP... i guess, sorry!
1 roll ritz crackers- smashed
2 pieces bread
2 eggs
bread crumbs-this isn't essential, but i always have em so i add em every time, just about 1/3 of a cup
shredded cheese

What to do:

Put your turkey into a bowl

Add your eggs

I usually add sauce next, but my middle was helping me this time and he started adding other things.... SO, tear your bread up into little pieces and add to the meat.

And now your bread crumbs.

crackers

tomato sauce

MIX!

now add your italian seasoning and mix some more

Then a couple good handfuls of cheese and one last mix!


spread into your loaf pan

Sprinkle with cheese

Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Please ignore my overly fancy plate :) i have a baby attached, so i fed the boys first:)

0 comments: