Stuffed Shells and Sauce

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

So, i got this recipe from a friend, and made it just like the recipe says with a couple of changes... First, I used manicotti shells, second, i used italian seasoning rather than just parsley and oregano. I have a ton of left over filling, so i'll be making this again tomorrow night, accompanied with herb garlic baguettes, and a caesar salad. 


Know that if you follow the recipe, you'll probably end up with the perfect amount of filling to shell ratio, if you follow my substitutions, you'll want to make tons of it, or freeze your remaining filling. I only made 6 shells as it was an experiment- i have picky eaters here- but when i make it tomorrow, i'll use the rest of my filling, regardless of how many shells that is. 


What you need:


1 (16 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells (or manicotti shells)
4 cups large curd cottage cheese
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 pinch garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano ( i skipped this all together)
1 teaspoon dried parsley (heres where I added 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning)
1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese



What to do:

Cook shells according to package directions.


While your shells cook, throw this stuff in a bowl:

Cottage cheese


Mozzarella and 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese


eggs, and garlic powder

And MIX!

Rub the dried herbs in the palms of you hands to pulverize them, add to cheese mixture


And mix it up again


Now your shells are done, drain em and put em in cold water to stop them from cooking

Spread 1/3 of the jar of sauce in the bottom of a 15x10 pan. Stuff shells and place in the sauced pan.


I'll admit it, I stuffed mine with my fingers... it was easier that way, the shells tore otherwise, and you know me... They have to be PERFECT.


Now, top your stuffed shells with the remainder of the sauce and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese


Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes, or until bubbly. 

The directions tell me to let it stand for 10 minutes. Wont do that again, they were luke warm when we ate after sitting for that long. Next time they'll go straight from the oven to the table and we'll eat em HOT!

I have a sauce recommendation for you. Its organic, and while its not hubby's homemade sauce, its pretty darn good for store bought jar sauce. try it. if you hate it, blame me :) We bought a 2 pack at Costco.





0 comments: