Tortilla Soup

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

J has class tonight.


Every time J has class I fail to see the point in cooking.


Upon my quest for finding easy things the kids would eat, and weren't the same ole same ole, I remembered my mama making "tortilla soup" for us in the latter years of high school. its easy, its super fast, and it fills the belly in a very good way. So, that is what were doing for dinner tonight. J isn't a fan... or at least he doesn't THINK he's a fan. I'll make it and he has assured me that he will try it, as long as I don't make him eat it if he hates it- what does he think he's one of my boys? im not gonna force the man to eat anything! but secretly I'm hoping he tries it and LOVES it... it would make my heart a little happy.


So here's what ya need:


1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can of chicken broth- if you use a carton, thats 14 ounces
1 can refried beans ( we do vegetarian)
1 can chicken breast- you  know these right? you buy em at costco, and they look like giant tuna containers, but they're really chicken?  yeah, ya need a can of that
1 jar salsa
Mexican cheese
tortilla strips, triangles, circles, whatever, as long as they are tortilla something
sour cream


what ya need to do:


Get out a big ole pot. I prefer our le cruset when i do soups or sauces of any kind. 

Turn on the burner to medium heat and put said big ole pot on the burner.



 Empty all cans into the pot. JUICES INCLUDED. Don't drain any of it, you'll want the juices for liquid. If your soup isn't "soupy" enough you can throw in a can of tomato sauce and then season it, but i don't have to do that, i don't think....


Heat it thru, maybe a slow boil, but it doesn't have to "cook" so really its just a matter of getting it all warmed up enough to eat it.


Put some tortillas in the bottom of a bowl


ladle a scoop or two over your tortillas

 and top with your shredded Mexican cheese and some sour cream. 


YUM-MO!



0 comments: